To Whom Am I Praying?

In the bible, I am told that whatever I ask for in Jesus’ name, it will be done unto me,

“And I will do whatever you ask in my name, 
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 
You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:13-14 NIV

When I pray in the name of Jesus, most of the time, I seem to forget exactly to whom I’m praying, what I’m saying and the implications it has on my life.

“In Jesus’ name…”   

Exactly who is Jesus... to me?  

He’s the perfect Son of my God the Almighty;   

“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, 
and that by believing you may have life in his name.”
John 21:30 NIV

He is one being of the Holy Trinity; 
He brought everlasting life to this broken world.

“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: 
While we were still sinners, 
Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:8

He’s the one who was insulted and humiliated on a cross;

"rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a m an,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to deah - 
even death on a cross!"
Philippians 2:7-8

He is the one who went through horrible, physical and emotional pain… for us... for me.

He is the one who was human, like me, and had the normal ‘human’ emotion of being scared to death in the Garden of Gethsemane.

"And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, 
and He knelt down and prayed, saying,
"Father, if it is Your will, 
take this cup away from Me; nevertheless
not My will, but Yours, be done."  
Luke 22: 41-44, NKJV

He already knew what was coming for, 

He is God; 

He knew that tomorrow would be the worst day in his life, but it was also to be a day that would 

bring life to the world, 
show God’s everlasting grace, 
and build a new covenant with man.  

“The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.” 
 Romans 6:10 NIV

Yes, I forget just who I am talking to.  

Jesus has the power of life and death in my life;  
He makes nations crumble and rise again;
He promises to have a plan for my entire life,

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future."  
Jeremiah 29:11

He brings me joy unspeakable;
He is my everlasting Savior; and

He is my friend.  

He brings beauty to my life, even when I feel that human emotion of uncertainty, fear and trembling; He knows exactly how many hairs I have on my head; (and how many I lost yesterday!)
He knows every single thought that comes through my mind, good or bad;

He gives me peace.

He gives me strength;
He holds the key to my heart;
He holds the key to life, itself;
He saved me… forever;  
And then He saved me again from a 95% mortality rate…

He is Jesus

So the next time I end my petitions with “in Jesus’ name”, in my mind’s eye, I will remember
just to Whom I am speaking, and what he has done for me.


Comments

Popular Posts